Distance Learning Experience

Omar Suarez and Jesus Lara

From online school to coming back to school, a few people were asked what their experience was with distance learning.

Here is what Angel Ruiz said during his interview, “You know, at first I was a little worried because I didn’t think I was going to get any information from the teachers because they weren’t there in person, but you know it was pretty easy, you just got to pay attention.”

More than half of students reported that they weren’t able to stay motivated and complete their assignments on time. Little or no face-to-face interaction causes loneliness that can also be associated with higher rates of anxiety and overall leads to a lesser understanding in class.

Another student, Rodolfo Gil, said “In my opinion, it was definitely way more difficult. I slept through most of my classes, I’m not going to lie. And yeah, it was just more difficult, and my teachers would sometimes not even look at the private chat. You know what I’m talking about, when I was in there, they just wouldn’t respond to me, and I was lost. So then, I came back to school when they offered it during COVID, so I came back to make it easier. It took me a little to get used to coming back, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly again.

Additionally, Jacobite Bluhm said, “I feel like it was a learning experience. I feel like I learned more about my students through a computer screen than I normally would in person. I got a little bit of information about my students’ lives and more information about how my kids processed throughout the day during their schoolwork, and it’s a whole new experience overall, so definitely a learning one. I think the only problem was motivation, I think the lack of motivation I should say when we were distance learning. It was hard to wake up, you would see the kids logging on sometimes, their webcams would come on, and then they shut them off and go back to sleep, so it’s definitely energy and motivation and the lack of it is what made up that whole entire feeling.”